16.8.11

Resorts at Sea - August

Hot on the heels of one acquisition here’s another ...

Last month, I talked about Caviar & Cargo, a wonderful book on a series of ships known as the C3 cargo vessels. I’m still devouring it.

Matson’s Century of Ships has been on my short list for a long time. In the past decade, I’ve never seen it for under $50. As I was looking up other books, on a whim I typed in the title and I saw it at a price so unbelievably low, I had to grab it. The book is an overview of the company, and not much emphasis is put on any one ship or series of ships – like the ones I’m particularly focusing on – but so far it’s a very interesting read and a must for anyone collecting maritime books. It will be very good for putting things into context.

Despite the awesome deal, I would’ve been very disappointed if I had not added a few more names to the artisan list in the process. Not as many as I thought, but any amount is welcome. These new artists lead to my learning about the Volcano School. It’s neat to find these mini-movements. Some of the works are reminiscent of the Night on Bald Mountain sequence in Disney’s Fantasia.

If I had to estimate, I think I’m 90% there in having a complete list of all the artists who worked on these ships. While I’ve been gathering basic information on them, it’s time to start looking into exhibit catalogs and books pertaining to these them and their works for contextual purposes: where they were at in their career at this point, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment