13.12.11

Six Degrees of Separation

I don’t know when, I don’t know where, but I will do this show.

I saw the movie first. The cast includes Stockard Channing, Donald Sutherland, Will Smith, and of all people, Kitty Carlisle. I may have caught the last parts on cable before getting the DVD. Soon the script was in my hands. The character arc of Ouisa is amazing.

Yet this one has been a tough nut to crack. Flan Kittredge is an art dealer, so I thought about using picture frames; nah, too cluttered. Actually, it seemed every concept I thought of was too cluttered.
 Why not just text? Not bad. Having it in the lower right leaves a lot of space to play with. It’s an ideal situation to put your actor’s headshot in the upper left. I’d definitely use shots of the three main characters: Flan, Ouisa, and Paul (the con-artist/catalyst).

Out of curiosity, I went online and looked up “degrees of separation” and found the following …
I stripped it down to the horizontal six degrees, and made it vertical. Yes, it’s nice and simple (below left), but maybe a little calculated randomness is needed (below right).
You could almost place photos of your entire cast in the circles, your primary cast in place of the white dots, but that may be too much, but it'd be worth a try. You could also try mapping out the character links. I found a stock photo of an African-American male (as that's what Paul is), and deliberately placed him in the center of things. I had the lines the same shade of grey, but putting them in white adds another layer. (Click on it to see what I mean.) The red dots are merely stylistic, but I wonder if they're necessary? As you can easily see, one could play with this design forever, but this is very nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment