10.6.14

Perlin Exhibit: creating an invitation

As Bernard Perlin: An Artist Goes to War draws ever closer, the deadlines to get stuff to the printers are starting to nip at my heels.

When my cousin got married last year, I noticed the invitation, and it was oversize, which costs more to mail. We don't want to blow a ton of money on postage for opening reception invites. Yes, people will receive e-invites, but a real invitation will also go out. It's something tangible.

So, playing around with designs and sizes, I really wanted to keep it so it would fit in a standard #10 envelope. Below is the front, and it measures 4" x 9".


Regular readers may notice that I've changed the logo font. I found a copy of the booklet for Perlin's first one-man show at Knoedler's in NYC in 1948. This narrow Bodoni font spelling out his name pays homage to that. When I sent Perlin a draft of the exhibit poster last year, he chuckled, "I love seeing my name in big, bold print." I think he'd be please with this.

The images are the different stages of the war. At the far left, his time in the Office of War Information, then there's Winston Churchill in Cairo, going on a raid with the Greek Sacred Squadron, preparations for the air war on Japan, and finally the surrender on the USS Missouri.

This will open up to 8" x 9" with the left half describing the exhibit for those who don't know, and the right half will spell out opening reception details. I'm still tweaking the text, and that's why you're not it seeing now.

No comments:

Post a Comment