2.3.10

Winter in Iowa

As Spring approaches, I have to admit that Winter agrees with me for some reason. I like the crispness and freshness in the air, the stillness ... I find it invigorating. Now the cold temps don't bother me too much; I guess it all depends upon the windchill. And the ice. I do prefer snow over ice. (Well, who doesn't? Ok, Olympic skaters, but still ...) The Midwest is infamous for laying down a sheets of ice and then snow. These are from Christmas 2006, and oddly enough, not much snow or ice, just a light dusting of frost.

This walking bridge for Wapsipinicon State Park in Anamosa was flown in by the Iowa National Guard in three pieces, and the process was featured on the show Mega Movers.
There were already some geese floating down the river, and while I was focusing on those, these four scared the hell out me when they flew out from their cover off to my right. If I were so inclined, I would entitle this one Wait for me!
And then we put the two subjects together ...
These steps are in the park proper and are referenced here. I like this shot much better. You can actually see them and the curves going up the hill.
Stone City is aptly named. The quarry is still being worked. If I remember my Iowa history correctly, there was a gentleman who built a lot of civic buildings. There used to be an opera house, which is now the site of a transformer station. I'm not sure what this used to be. Had I been more awake, I would've changed my angle to block the utility pole in the upper right.
This ... I have no idea what this used to be either. It's about 50 yards from the other stone building. I know there's a term for these windows, but I've no idea what it is. I'm looking up castle references and have drawn a blank. When I find out, I'll share.
One of the more stupid things I've done is to walk into the middle of a creek in the middle of winter. Granted it wasn't very deep, but wet is wet. I was carefully balanced on rocks and concrete (don't ask me, I didn't put it there), working slowly in a circle. To me, the water looks like molten lead. This image was selected to be the Kirksville Arts Membership Poster for 2007.
 Look at that blue! This was behind the first water picture.
These steps were referenced in an earlier post. And I reiterate: a little elbow grease and general clean-up will result in an awesome park.

No comments:

Post a Comment