13.4.10

Denver Walkabout: Marcus Brothers

This is the first of several posts I'll be doing on my wanderings around Denver.

I accidentally stumbled across this building twice. The first time, I made a mental note to revisit. I obviously didn't place the highest priority on it, because when I stumbled upon it again, I knew it looked familiar, but yet I couldn't place it either, that is, until I started going through my photos.
I was down in that part of town to take in the Museum of Contempoarary Art. I had a ton of time to kill, most of which will be part of another post. While I was taking some exterior shots of the MCA, my peripheral vision caught this solitary little building bordered by a parking lot and green space.
Ok, given the time of the year, it's mostly brown space. But such a lonely little outpost of historic architecture! I half expected a wrecking crew to show up at anytime to finish her off.
I worked my way around the building, then back again, closing in details, composing what I think are interesting shots. The back end didn't hold much detail, as they usually face an alley where you're not meant to be awed.
I would love to see old pics with the windows still in! Above the door is the name "Marcus Brothers." Also on the front is a marker from the Landmark Preservation Commission noting this building as number 190 in 1990. Probably from an inventory taken by the Commission. I guess it's fortunate than nothing has happened to it in the past 20 years, but then again, is nothing better than something? 
Hopefully, a use can be found. Meanwhile, the brick will continue to deteriorate, bird droppings will pile up, and the metalwork will corrode.

I hate it when bad things happen to good structures.

No comments:

Post a Comment