8.11.11

Poster Contest

I entered a contest put on by the Obama campaign to support the Jobs Plan. The deadline was Friday, November 4, and there'll be a round of 12 before the final three are selected. The winner receives a copy signed by President Obama. I try not to get political with this blog, but this was too interesting a challenge to pass up. We’ll see what happens.

I’m not going to lie. This was a struggle, and I don’t know if I won. Obviously I was successful enough to complete an entry, but perhaps I’m using the word “successful” too liberally.

In wanting to keep it simple, I ended up with a word sculpture/Jenga tower thing. Using words I feel are essential to the theme I chose: “Rebuilding America,” I arranged the words horizontally so they spelled Rebuilding America vertically. Granted, ending the tower with “We Can’t Wait” might be a little gimmicky, but if one takes a long hard look at where we are, no, we really can’t wait. Colors: what else but red, white, and blue.

If this was to be shown on Bravo’s Work of Art (a guilty pleasure now in its second season), I’d probably be told: “Your work of art did not work for us.” And that’s fine, because I at least tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment