10.5.15

RIP: Bill King

Though I receive The New York Times digitally, I don't always read it daily. Thus I'm now learning of the passing of sculptor Bill King, who passed at the age of 90 on March 4.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/27/arts/design/william-king-sculptor-who-used-wit-dies-at-90.html?_r=0

I got to know Bill because I emailed him through his website asking if he was the same William King who did the mural in the ss United States' First Class Smoking Room. He replied: "Well, for Heaven's sake-------YES, I did the 1st Class Smoking Room mural, and what a project! It was deliriously wonderful to have experienced the process. Indeed it was!"

That was the summer of 2012, and we corresponded off and on. In late January of this year, he sent me a hand made card; a picture of a trio of his sculptures on a piece of cardstock. Here's the front:


He was always kind enough to answer my inane questions, and tolerated my gushing over his work.

I've done a brief write-up of his Big U mural. You can read here.

No comments:

Post a Comment